So, you’ve found your swap and you’re moving house – congratulations! Once the checks have been made and the paperwork is signed you can begin your moving preparations. But where to start?? We understand that there isn’t usually a lot of time between finalising the paperwork and the moving date, so we’ve put together our top tips for an easy move.
Three weeks ahead
- Get hold of packing boxes and label them with categories: toys, books, clothes, ornaments, plates and bowls etc.
- Start by packing only the things you don’t need or use every day
- Look for and arrange school places for your children in your new area – but don’t take your children out of their existing school until paperwork has been signed
Two weeks ahead
- Pay all the bills up to date
- Think about how you’re going to move – do you need to ask friends and family to help? Will you need to book a moving van? If you’re hiring a van or organising a removal company to help, don’t put down any deposit until the paperwork has been signed. If the other swapper changes their mind before the paperwork is signed, remember to cancel this service
One week ahead or once the paperwork is signed
- Redirect your post to the new address
- Collect together important documents, such as birth certificates, passports and any fragile items. Pack them carefully to be taken in your own car, or with you personally and label the box as ‘fragile/important’ so as not to break or lose any of these items
- If possible, arrange for someone to take care of your pet and/or young children on moving day, so you’re able to focus on the moving task
- Pack up everything that you didn’t pack at the beginning of the process – all everyday items
- Inform your children’s existing school that they will be leaving
- If you have a car, fill it up with petrol as close to moving day as possible, so that you’re not having to think about this on the day
On the day
- Start early
- Label everything
- Put together a survival kit to take in your car with jug and mugs, medications, snacks, pet food and phone chargers. Pack this first and label it clearly
- Give your house a good spring clean
- Get moving!